Friday, April 17, 2009

Black and white musicians jived between each other. All were artists, playing foolish, having fights and making love." Chuck Berry


As a girl in Texas, I used to love to run back to the chicken coop and watch the hens meander about. There was something about the one that was black and white that I liked best. She was the biggest, so we named her Big Mama Dot, a name she carried well. I loved to go visit her on hot summer afternoons, to open the latch, and walk into their little wooden haven. It was cooler in there and smelled of crispy hay. Big Mama Dot would always greet me at the door eager for the days kitchen scraps. In exchange for carrot tops, egg shells, lettuce, onion peels, and other vegetable scraps, I would get to reach in the wine boxes that held the nests and grab a warm freshly laid brown egg. I think I got the best part of the deal.

2 comments: